To provide funding for essential, but non-budgeted items, that will ensure a margin of excellence in effective community policing. We work closely with the Redmond Police command staff to identify areas where community-based help will make a difference in providing that margin of excellence. Close attention is given to budget items that affect training, equipment, technology, officer well-being and community relations. These critical areas receive special emphasis in our fundraising activities.
We believe in our Redmond Police officers! We are also thankful to live in a community that cares about responsible public safety. Your Police Department works hard for you every day to serve and protect our entire community, regardless of color, creed, national origin or other factors. At times, they risk their own lives or health to do so. We are grateful to have a well-trained police department with an outstanding professional reputation and community appreciation for what they do.
The Redmond Police Foundation, with its all-volunteer Board of Directors, seeks to be a champion for the law enforcement professionals who help make Redmond a great place to live, work and raise a family. Working beside you, we have the opportunity to make a difference during this unprecedented time of health-related, social and economic challenges. Specifically we provide the following types of support:
1. Overnight Emergency Hotel Room & Victim Services - Victims of crime often need temporary relief for an overnight hotel stay to ensure they are removed from a harmful environment and can then gain access to appropriate services.
2. Family Wellness Activities, Training and Support - The Foundation would like to have discretionary funds available to support the changing needs of the Redmond Police Foundation's law enforcement officers, professional staff and their families.
3. Updates to Equipment and Training - Gear and equipment are constantly evolving. Donating to this cause would help the Department upgrade equipment and ensure that all officers have the latest and greatest training.
4. One-Week Advanced Executive Training - Help ensure that senior managers are prepared for challenges the Redmond Police Department will face in the next decade and beyond. Donating to this cause would allow the Department to send managers to the best available master-level command universities, such as the Senior Management Institute for Police (Boston University) or the Northwestern University Center for Public Safety.
5. Post-Trauma Support (one week) - As officers, detectives, and professional staff deal with the impacts of crimes against children, and other traumatic incidents, the health and welfare of the Redmond Police Department is important. Donating to this cause can help send affected officers to facilities such as the West Coast Post-Trauma Retreat. West Coast Retreat is a residential program that provides an educational experience designed to help current and retired first responders recognize the signs and symptoms of work-related stress including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in themselves and in others.
Community policing and mental health are at a crossroads. Many of the calls our officers respond to also involve a mental health component. Although they are trained to recognize these issues, they are not mental health professionals. This is why the Redmond Police Department has adopted a "co-response" model. A Mental Health Professional (MHP) deploys alongside patrol officers to resolve crisis calls for service. They will also assist with crisis assessment, de-escalation, service referrals and case management. The officer deals with the criminal nature of the call while the mental health professional deals with its mental health nature. Along with the other areas we support, the Foundations'
focus for the foreseeable future will be to support this co-response model through community education and engagement .
Immense thanks to ServiceMaster Restore of Redmond, B.E. Meyers, Microsoft, Aftermath,Inc., Lehigh Hanson a division of Heidelberg Cement Group, Schwabe Williamson and Wyatt, and Redmonds Bar and Grill for their generous support this past year.