Food is Free Washington believes that access to healthy, fresh food makes communities stronger.
We strive to close the gap among existing services for Washingtonians in need of food by providing equitable access to healthy, locally grown organic produce, at no cost, to those who need it.
• We grow fresh produce on publicly and privately donated land and distribute it immediately after it’s harvested.
• We share the produce that we grow and harvest with our community at weekly share events in local parks and at our Pop-Up Food Giveaways.
• We receive and distribute larger donations of both produce and non-perishable food.
What are the results so far?
• We have distributed over 2 million pounds of food since 2015, to over 85,000 neighbors in Pierce County.
• We have built 65 street-side raised bed gardens that we farm. We share the bounty at weekly share events in the city of Tacoma.
• We have grown and shared over 8,000 vegetable starts for free with the Tacoma community.
Our current food system leaves too many behind, both nationally and right in our own neighborhoods. We want to live in a state where we ensure fresh food gets to our 688,000 community members facing food insecurity, and at the same time, reduce the 40% of food that is wasted in the supply chain. A world where we reduce the carbon footprint of food by sharing it locally. A world where we share the food we grow at its most nutritious point; harvested when ripe and eaten while fresh. And do it in a way that builds food sovereignty and stability of our local and national food systems.
We believe through the simple but intentional act of sharing food, that we have the profound ability to strengthen our relationships with our community and with each other.
Your GiveBIG donation will help FIFW provide access to fresh produce to the 3 neighborhoods in Tacoma that are food deserts; Eastside, Downtown and South Tacoma. With your support we can bring nutritious fresh produce to these neighborhoods.